Coronavirus Response – Dollar Tree Canada
The Latest on Dollar Tree Canada’s Response to the Coronavirus
As you know, the last few weeks have been challenging for everyone. In the midst of all of this uncertainty, Dollar Tree is here for you and your family. We are committed to keeping our stores open for you, and our teams are working tirelessly to provide clean and safe shopping environments with shelves stocked with essential products to meet your family’s needs. Our Associates are the heart of our Company, and I’m overwhelmed by their ongoing commitment to you and the communities we serve. Their efforts are greatly appreciated, not just by me, but by every family we are helping during this time.
We take our role in your community very seriously and appreciate your trust. As such, I wanted to update you on some of the things we are working on to serve you even better in these extraordinary times.
Protecting the Safety of Our Shoppers & Associates
- NEW – Plexiglass Guards: We have installed plexiglass guards at cash registers in all of our stores to shield our shoppers and cashiers from the spread of germs.
- NEW – Associate Health Screenings: We have implemented an Associate Health Screening Program that includes a self-assessment process for Associates to monitor their health two hours before every shift, as well as a health questionnaire to be used upon arrival at work.
- Cleaning Protocols: We continue to provide our store teams with hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies to clean throughout the store daily with high frequency. We will also continue to close daily at 8:00 p.m. local time, or earlier, to allow for PHAC-recommended cleaning protocols, including wiping down common areas and surfaces such as door handles, shopping carts and baskets, keypads, and register counters.
- Social Distancing: Our store Associates are practicing social distancing, as recommended by the PHAC, and we continue to ask that our customers also follow social distancing measures, maintaining at least six feet between yourself and other shoppers and Associates — especially in the checkout lines where the spacing has been marked for you.
- Face Masks & Gloves: We are providing non-medical face masks and gloves to all Associates to wear during their shifts. Associates may also choose to wear their own gloves and cloth face coverings.
- Early Shopping for At-Risk Customers: We continue to dedicate the first shopping hour to our at-risk customers, including senior citizens, individuals with pre-existing health conditions, and pregnant women.
Store & Company Updates
- NEW – Products on the Way to Stores: Our teams are working seven days a week to get more of the products that you need and want to our stores.
- NEW – Contactless Payment: Most registers are now equipped with contactless payment through Tap to Pay with Visa, MasterCard, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
- Investing in Our Associates – Our Company is investing $100 million in our hourly-paid associates with wage premiums in recognition of, and appreciation for, their dedication and efforts to serving our customers.
I want to thank you for your support and your trust in us. We will come through these challenging days TOGETHER — and we will be here for you along the way.
Dollar Tree, Inc. Management
Frequently Asked Questions
- How is the Company trying to mitigate risks?
We have taken precautions in our stores, distribution centers and Store Support Centres (SSC), including implementing proactive cleaning protocols and social distancing procedures as recommended by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC). We have a Business Response Team that is monitoring the situation and meeting daily, identifying certain risks and taking actions.
- Are Dollar Tree Canada stores open?
Yes. Our stores are open.
In case we are unable to meet the needs at your favorite store, other nearby locations can be found at www.dollartreecanada.com/store-locator.
- Why are Dollar Tree Canada stores still open?
Our stores are where customers find the products that meet their critical needs in a convenient store format, at a price they can afford. As a value retailer and essential business, we strive to provide all of our customers in rural, suburban and urban communities with unparalleled values, which will help ease hardships especially in challenging times. These products include food, water, cleaning supplies, sanitizers, paper products & home goods. To assist families with youth at home, the stores also provide children’s products at great values, such as books, craft supplies and toys.
- Have Dollar Tree Canada store hours changed?
Effective March 25 until further notice, in an effort to help protect the most vulnerable population during this pandemic, the Company is dedicating the stores’ first operational hours each day to at-risk customers, including senior citizens, individuals with pre-existing health conditions, and pregnant women. We urge all other customers to begin their shopping trips at least one hour after the stores open.
- Will the Company close a store if there is a health concern?
Yes. Out of an abundance of caution, we will temporarily close a store due to health precautions. Adhering to guidelines from the PHAC and local health officials, we will sanitize and clean the location before re-opening.
- If my local store temporarily closes, where are some other options?
You can find other store locations at www.dollartreecanada.com/store-locator
- Are Dollar Tree Canada stores increasing cleaning protocols?
Yes. The stores have implemented proactive cleaning protocols as recommended by the PHAC, which include wiping down common areas and surfaces, such as door handles, shopping carts and baskets, keypads and register counters, along with regular daily cleaning procedures.
- Are stores implementing “social distancing” measures?
Yes. Our stores are practicing “social distancing” measures, including designated customer spacing at the registers, along with guidelines for our associates when unloading delivery trucks, stocking the sales floor and working with vendors.
Our store teams also require customers to practice “social distancing” or limiting close contact with other patrons and associates.
- What is the Company’s face mask policy?
To best help protect one another, and in accordance with guidelines from the PHAC, we are requiring all Associates, customers and vendors to wear face coverings when inside our stores.
The Company is providing face coverings to Associates.
- Are associates permitted to wear gloves?
Yes. Our associates are permitted to wear gloves as a voluntary preventative measure. The Company is providing gloves for associates as supplies become available.
- Has the Company added plexiglass guards at the registers?
- Have stores implemented an Associate Health Screening Program?
Yes. In an effort to help protect our associates and customers, we have implemented a self-assessment process for associates to monitor their health before every shift. Additionally, we are using a COVID-19 related health questionnaire when the associates arrive for their shifts.
- When will Dollar Tree Canada stores replenish products?
Our stores are restocked on a regular basis. We are closely monitoring the situation and are working directly with our suppliers to replenish store shelves as quickly as possible. We remain focused on meeting the needs of our customers.
- Have Dollar Tree Canada stores increased prices due to recent demand on certain products?
- Are Dollar Tree Canada stores limiting the amount of products one customer can purchase?
Yes. We are now limiting the quantities on a few select high-demand products sold per customer in order to best serve our communities. The signage regarding these limited quantities will be posted near the applicable items. We will continue to monitor the situation. Our supply chain and store teams are working hard to replenish shelves as quickly as possible.
- How is the Company supporting its Associates during this time?
The most important assets are our Associates, which is why their health and well-being is crucial to our Company.To help keep our Associates and customers safe and healthy, our Company has taken precautions in our stores, distribution centers and Store Support Center (SSC), including implementing proactive cleaning protocols as recommended by the PHAC.